If you are reading this, one thing is for sure….you woke up today! You’re alive and you’re here to live another day. I consider that a gift. Here are a few reasons why I believe a new day is a gift:
- We have the opportunity to be a better version of the person we were yesterday. That’s the only person we should try to be better than; the person we were yesterday.
- We have the chance to be kinder in our words and in our actions. Kinder to our friends, to our family, to the people who cross our path and want to be noticed.
- We have the privilege of doing something good for the world. Whether it’s volunteering, waving, letting someone in the lane in front of us, smiling, picking up litter, carrying out someone’s groceries, donating however you can, leaving a big tip, recycling, taking the time to chat with a stranger, listening and seeking to understand, practicing empathy, compassion and respect, passing along compliments and words of encouragement, promoting good news stories instead of negative, paying for someone’s coffee or meal, bringing attention to causes or organizations making a positive difference, starting our own cause to promote an issue that needs attention in the world, practicing non-judgement, hugging, sharing in a laugh.
- We have the chance to make amends, come to an understanding, make peace with or apologize for something that happened before. Do not live with regrets on this one!
- We have the opportunity to experience something new that we have been postponing for whatever reason. This could include volunteering, eating healthier, going on a road trip, visiting new places, getting rid of some of our stuff that no longer serves us, slowing down and realizing that’s okay, taking action on a self improvement initiative, finding a new job, trying out a new recipe or signing up for cooking lessons, taking a new route for our daily walk or run, singing in our car with the windows down, realizing that we
need(!) want singing lessons and signing up for them, not watching TV for a whole day and enjoying the peace and clarity that brings, starting a blog, making new friends and building new relationships, reconnecting with friends and family that we miss, distancing ourselves from friends and relationships that do not serve us, breaking out in impromptu dance sessions in public, going on an adventure, learning a new sport or hobby or pursuing a talent.
Moving forward and living life with passion and gratitude = THRIVING.
- We have the honour to experience something again or try something we did before with a new perspective. Witnessing a sunrise and sunset, making memories and sharing dreams with friends and family, talking about old memories with friends and family, playing cards with seniors, enjoying youthful fun with children and grandchildren, playing outside, doing cartwheels (I did this 2 days ago!), revisiting places we have been to, watching for falling stars, looking for the big and little dipper, re-reading books that inspire or educate, listening to our favourite music from our past.
- We have the chance to rethink, redo, retry. Maybe some things didn’t go quite the way we planned, maybe we made some poor choices or bad decisions, maybe we feel that luck is not on our side, maybe we feel defeated, stuck or lost. Who hasn’t? Reach out to a person or a support group who can help with the transition through your challenges. Another day provides us with the chance to think differently, to see things differently, to do things differently or perhaps to get rid of some ideas all together and try a whole other plan of action. Now there’s an opportunity!
Here’s to a new day. It’s another gift. I hope you think so too!
Be calm & THRIVE ON,